3 cups (720 mL) all-purpose flour
2 cups (500 mL) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
3 large eggs, beaten
1 ½ cups (375 mL) canola oil
1 ½ tsp (7 mL) vanilla extract
1 8 oz (237 mL) can crushed pineapple, undrained
2 cups (500 mL) chopped bananas
1 cup (250 mL) chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 1/2 - 8 oz (338 g) packaged cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup (175 mL) butter, softened
6 cups (1.5 L) icing sugar, sifted
2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
½ cup (125 mL) pecans, chopped (reserved)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon in a large bowl; add eggs and oil, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in vanilla, pineapple, bananas, and 1 cup chopped toasted pecans.
- Spoon batter into 3 well-greased (with cooking spray) and floured 9-inch (23 cm) round cake pans.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Beat cream cheese and butter at medium-low speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add sugar, beating at low speed until blended.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Increase speed to medium-high and beat 1 to 2 minutes or until fluffy.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving platter.
- Spread 1 cup Cream Cheese Frosting over cake layer.
- Top with second layer, and spread 1 cup frosting over cake layer. Top with third cake layer, and spread top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans overtop.
Nutrients per serving:
Carbohydrates: 104 g
Fat: 47 g
Protein: 7 g
Sodium: 419 mg
Fibre: 2 g