Pecan Peach Chiffon Cake
6 eggs, separated
½ tsp (2 mL) cream of tartar
¾ cup (175 mL) sugar
2 ¼ cups (550 mL) all purpose flour
¾ cup (175 mL) sugar
1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5mL) cinnamon
½ tsp (2 mL) nutmeg
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
½ cup (125 mL) canola oil
½ tsp (2 mL) vanilla
½ tsp (2 mL) almond extract
¾ cup (175 mL) orange juice
¾ cup (175 mL) finely chopped peaches
⅔ cup (150 mL) very finely chopped pecans
- In large mixing bowl, beat 6 egg whites and until foamy. Add cream of tartar. Beat at high speed until soft peaks form. Add ¾ cup (175 mL) of sugar, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time, and continue to beat egg whites until glossy peaks form. Set aside.
- In second large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Whisk to combine ingredients.
- In third large bowl, beat 6 egg yolks with canola oil until well blended. Add vanilla, almond extract and orange juice. Mix well.
- Pour liquid ingredients into the bowl with dry ingredients and beat slowly until ingredients are well combined, about 1 minute.
- Stir in peaches and pecans.
- Spoon about ¼ of the egg whites into the batter and stir into the batter. Add remaining egg whites and gently fold into the batter.
- Pour mixture into an ungreased 10 inch (25 cm) angel food pan. Run spatula through batter to eliminate any large air bubbles. Smooth top.
- Bake at 350 ̊F (180 ̊C) for about 50 -55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Turn pan upside down and rest tube on small glass. Allow cake to cool completely.
- Run knife around edge of pan and tube. Invert cake onto cake plate. Cover top and sides of cake with Brown Butter Icing. (Recipe follows.).
Makes 10 - 12 servings.
Brown Butter Icing
3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
2 ¼ cups (550 mL) icing sugar
1 ½ tsp (7 mL) vanilla
3-4 tbsp (45 – 60 mL) water
- In small saucepan, melt butter and let simmer over low heat until butter is the colour of light brown sugar.
- Beat in icing sugar and vanilla and approximately 3 tbsp water. Add additional water to reach desired drizzling consistency.
Nutrients per serving: