8 large russet potatoes, peeled
2 medium onions, finely chopped
3 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup (80 mL) all-purpose flour or matzo meal
1 tsp (5 mL) Each salt and pepper
Vegetable oil (for frying)
applesauce, sour cream or Greek yogurt (for dipping)
- Run potatoes through a food processor using the grating blade.
- Place shredded potatoes in a clean tea towel or cheesecloth.
- Squeeze out potato liquid, drying out potatoes as much as possible.
- Add potato shreds to a large bowl and mix together onions, egg, flour, salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy bottomed skillet, heat a ½ inch (1 cm) of oil over medium-high heat.
- Spoon latke mixture in the skillet, do not overcrowd the pan.
- Fry for 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Place latkes on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Serve immediately, with topping choices.
Makes: 35 latkes
Nutrients per Latke:
Carbohydrates: 6 g
Fat: 4 g
Protein: 1 g
Sodium: 21 mg
Fibre: 0.5 g