Egg, Ricotta and Prosciutto Pizza
1 package (397 g) prepared puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten
½ cup (125 mL) fresh ricotta cheese
¼ cup (60 mL) grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup (60 mL) fig jam
¼ tsp (1 mL) Each salt and pepper
4 slices prosciutto ham, roughly torn
4 large eggs
1 cup (250 mL) arugula
Shaved parmesan, to serve
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Roll out puff pastry to 10-inch x 14-inch sheet on a floured surface and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Trim uneven edges of puff pastry and fold sheet 1 inch into centre to create a boarder. Brush edges with egg wash.
- Using a fork, poke holes into the bottom of the crust.
- Cover with a sheet of tin foil and blind bake for 15 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together ricotta cheese, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle pastry crust with grated parmesan cheese.
- Dollop the ricotta cheese mixture covering the pastry crust within the border; followed by placing dollops of fig jam over the crust.
- Arrange torn prosciutto on top of the cheese and jam layers.
- Return the pizza tray into the oven at 425°F (220°C) for 10-15 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden in colour.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and crack 4 large eggs on the surface of the pizza.
- Using a fork lightly break the yolks, return into the oven for an additional 2-5 minutes, to set the white of the egg.
- Remove from oven and top with arugula and shaved parmesan cheese, serve immediately.
Serves: 8 as an appetizer or 2 as a main course
Nutrients per serving as an appetizer portion 1/8 of recipe:
Carbohydrates: 31 g
Fat: 26 g
Protein: 14 g
Sodium: 543 mg
Fibre: 1 g