Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with a Poached Egg
2 cups (500 mL) raw Brussels sprouts, finely shredded
2 cups (500 mL) raw kale, thinly sliced
½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
4-6 slices prosciutto ham
1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
sliced almonds, garnish
1/3 cup (80 mL) Parmesan cheese, shaved
½ cup (125 mL) extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
3 Tbsp (45 mL) balsamic vinegar
2 tsp (10 mL) honey or granulated sugar
1 Tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and cook prosciutto for 1 minute per side or until crispy. Place on paper towel to drain, tear into bite-sized pieces.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients in a large salad bowl and set aside.
- Bring a saucepan filled with 2 inches (5 cm) of water to a boil with white vinegar. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Crack eggs into small individual bowls.
- Using a large spoon, create a swirl in the saucepan and drop 1 egg at a time in the center of the swirling water.
- Poach for 2-3 minutes or until desired doneness is achieved.
- Remove poached eggs with a slotted spoon and drain over a paper towel. Continue with remaining eggs.
- Combine the greens and onions in the large salad bowl containing the vinaigrette, toss together with vinaigrette.
- Top with prosciutto ham, poached eggs, sliced almonds and Parmesan cheese.
Nutrients per salad serving:
Carbohydrates: 9 g
Fat: 14 g
Protein: 17 g
Sodium: 661 mg
Fibre: 3 g
Nutrients per 2 Tbsp (25 mL) of vinaigrette dressing:
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Fat: 17 g
Protein: 0 g
Sodium: 31 mg
Fibre: 0 g